Sunday, July 6, 2014

Post #100

First of all, a little bad news. Cards on the table.

I lost my Better Know a District Hex notes.

This doesn't mean I won't revisit it. No, I definitely will when I'm ready to. But if I can't get them back together again, it might be a little while, because as anyone who's ever lost something they were working on knows, it's a real bummer. I do have something a little less heavy I'd like to start in on in the meantime. We'll see how that goes.

Second, since this is my hundredth post, I meant to have something more... momentous in hand for you all. But well, 5e's out now, at least in its basic form. How much more momentous do you get than a shiny new version of D&D?

If you haven't checked it out yet, it's worth a look. So far what we see reminds me in a lot of good ways of Castles and Crusades. IMO the biggest misstep at this time is with the Wizard's spell list, which is even more Evocation-focused than the Starter Set preview indicated. That's not a bad thing, but it does feel a bit limited to me. Which is maybe all to the good as far as WOTC is concerned, because it makes me want the PHB so I can have a little more breadth. But the rules themselves? Definitely seem solid to me. I can't wait for the core books to come out. Especially the Monster Manual, because the Monster Manual is always the one D&D book, in every edition, that I consistently find myself reading for pleasure.

4 comments:

Scott Anderson said...

Welcome back, and grats on 100

Roger G-S said...

You mean the ability-based saving throws are C&C like? Yeah, I can see that. Sorry about your loss of work!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Congrats on 100 posts!

Rachel Ghoul said...

Roger: Yeah, the ability saves are a big part of it. That plus being essentially a modern D&D with no feats and skills by default are the two biggest factors.